, a parish in the Alcester division of the hundred of Barlichway, county Warwick, 6 miles W. of Henley-in-Arden, and 6 N. of Alcester. Redditch is its post town. It is situated on the river Arrow, and contains the hamlet of Headless Cross. The village is chiefly agricultural. There is a large needle and fish-hook manufactory at Ipsley Mill, which employs a portion of the inhabitants. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £685. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Worcester, value £588.
The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice with a square embattled tower. In the interior are monuments of the Hubaurd family. There is also a district church at Headless Cross, the living of which is a perpetual curacy*, value £102. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There are schools for both sexes adjoining the district church of St. Luke's. A Roman Catholic chapel has been erected on the border of this parish, at an expense of £6,000."
"HEADLESS-CROSS, a chapelry in the parish of Ipsley, hundred of Barlichway, county Warwick, 6 miles N.W. of Alcester, and 5 S.E. of Bromesgrove. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a curacy united to Ipsley."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]