"LONG COMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Kington, in the county of Warwick 1 mile from Little Compton, and 5 S.E. of Shipston-on-Stour. The village is considerable, and was once a market town. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester, value £191, in the patronage of Eton College. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, has a sancte-bell turret. The manor anciently belonged to the Sheldon family, who resided at Weston Hall. Near the village is a Druidical circle, called Rollwright."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]