"MANCETTER, (or Mancester), a parish in the Atherstone division of the hundred of Hemlingford, county Warwick, containing Atherstone railway station and post town, 1 mile S.E. of the village of Mancetter. It is situated on the Coventry canal and river Anker, and contains the populous hamlets of Atherstone, Hartshill, and Oldbury, the seat of the Okeovers. It is supposed to be the site of the Roman Manduessedum on Watling Street, and has a camp of 6 acres, where numerous relics have been found. In this parish are extensive stone quarries, and productive mines of manganese of superior quality."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]