"MARTON, a parish in the Southam division of the hundred of Knightlow, county Warwick, 4½ miles N.W. of Southam, its post town, and 1 mile S. of the Marton station on the Rugby and Leamington branch of the London and North Western railway. The village, which is small, is situated at the confluence of the rivers Ichene and Leam, on the road from Coventry to Oxford. It is a meet for the Warwickshire hounds. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments under an Enclosure Act in 1802. It gives name to a deanery in the diocese of Worcester. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester, value £150. The church, dedicated to St. Esprit, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing three bells. There is a place of worship for Independents. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. There is a National school. Sir Theophilus Biddulph is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]