"MAXSTOKE, (or Maxstock), a parish in the Atherstone division of the hundred of Hemlingford, county Warwick, 2½ miles E. of Coleshill, its post town, and 4 S.E. of the Whitacre railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Blythe, and is wholly agricultural. Maxstoke is mentioned in Domesday Survey as Machitone, and formerly had an Austin priory, founded by Sir William de Clinton, Earl of Huntingdon, in 1335. Maxstoke Castle, which was built about the same time, has successively belonged to the Staffords, Compton, Egerton, and, finally, to the Dilke family, in whose possession it now remains."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]