"MORETON-MORRELL, a parish in the Warwick division of Kington hundred, county Warwick, 3½ miles N.W. of Kington, its post town, and 5 S.W. of the Harbury railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. Limestone is quarried for burning into lime and for the roads. This parish was formerly divided into two parts, termed Morton and Merhull, in consequence of the moorish ground adjoining the former: hence the origin of its present name. It is bounded on the E. and S.E. by the line of the Roman Fosse Way. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Worcester, value £120. The church is dedicated to the Holy Cross. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. There is a free school for both sexes, and also a place of worship for the Wesleyans."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]