"NETHER WHITACRE, (or Whitacre Inferior), a parish in the Atherstone division of Hemlingford hundred, county Warwick, 3 miles N. of Coleshill, its post town, 13 from Birmingham. It is a junction station on the West branch of the Midland railway, and is joined with the North-Western railway at Birmingham, and at Hampton-in-Arden. The village is situated on the Blythe, a branch of the river Thame. The surface is flat, and the soil clay alternated with sand. Stone is quarried. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Worcester, value £333. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, has a monument to Charles Jennens, Esq., bearing date 1773. The register dates from 1580. The charities consist of Jennens' bequest for a free school. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Earl Howe is lord of the manor.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]