"NEWBOLD-UPON-AVON, a parish in the Rugby division of Knightlow hundred, county Warwick, 2 miles N.W. of Rugby, its nearest railway station and post town. The village is situated on the Oxford canal, near the Midland Counties railway, which passes through the parish. It is watered by the rivers Avon and Swift. The parish comprises the hamlets of Cosford, Little Harborough, Little Lawford, and Long Lawford. There are extensive lime quarries. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. It is a meet for the Atherstone hounds. The Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge, are impropriators of part of the rectorial tithes."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]