"NEWTON REGIS, (or Newton-in-the-Thistles), a parish in the Tamworth division of the hundred of Hemlingford, county Warwick, 5½ miles N.E. of Tamworth, its post town, and the same distance from the Polesworth railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land and a corn-rent under an Enclosure Act in 1795, and the glebe comprises 33½ acres, valued at £57. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Worcester, value £300. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a lofty spired tower. There is a National school for both sexes.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]