"PILLERTON-HERSEY, a parish in the Brailes division of Kington hundred, county Warwick, 3 miles S.W. of Kington, its post town, and 10 from Banbury. The village, which is small, is situated to the westward of a lofty range of hills called Edge Hills, where the famous battle was fought. The old Roman Fosse Way intersects the parish. The soil is a mixture of clay and sand upon a substratum of limestone and blue stone. An Enclosure Act was obtained in 1794, under which the tithes have been commuted for land and a money payment. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Pillerton-Priors annexed, in the diocese of Worcester, value £120. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice with a square tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum, which is expended in coals to the poor every Christmas. There is a National school. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The Rev. H. Mills is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]