"RUGBY, a parish and market town in the Rugby division of Knightlow hundred, county Warwick, 15 miles N.E. of Warwick, and 83 from London by the London and North-Western railway, which here forms a junction with the North Midland, the Leamington and Warwick, the Trent Valley, and the Rugby and Stamford lines. It is situated on high ground close to the left bank of the river Avon, and near to the Oxford canal. Rugby does not possess any especial historical interest, and though supposed to be of some antiquity, nothing is certainly known about it previous to the time of Edward the Confessor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]