"SALFORD PRIORS, a parish in the Stratford division of Barlichway hundred, county Warwick, 4 miles N.E. of Evesham, and 5 S.W. of Alcester. The parish, which is large, includes, besides the village of Priors Salford, the hamlets of Abbots Salford and Dunnington. It is watered by several streams flowing into the river Avon and its tributary the Arrow, which last is here crossed by a bridge. The surface slopes gradually towards the Avon, along the banks of which are some rich alluvial meadow lands. The soil is generally light, consisting of gravel and marl, but interspersed with patches of stiff clay, upon a substratum of lias rock. There are numerous marl pits, but few are at present used."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]