"SECKINGTON, a parish in the Tamworth division of Hemlingford hundred, county Warwick, 4 miles N.E. of Tamworth, its post town, and 3 N. of Polesworth railway station. The Derby junction railway passes through the parish. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. Seckington was the Saxon Seccandun, where Cuthred defeated Ethelwald. In the vicinity is a camp 300 feet in circumference, also a barrow 42 feet in height. There was a cell to Great Malvern at Avecote, founded by William Burdett in the reign of Henry II. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture, and is well wooded. The soil is chiefly clay, producing good crops of wheat and barley. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Worcester, value £274. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice, with a square tower crowned with a lofty spire. In the interior of the church is a monument to the Burdett family, bearing date 1600. There is a school supported by subscription."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]