"SHELDON, a parish in the Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, county Warwick, 6 miles from Birmingham, its post town, and 1 mile from Marston Green railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Sow. The North-Western railway and the Birmingham and Warwick canal pass in the vicinity. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £450, and the glebe comprises 38 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Worcester, value £389. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, has a tower containing four bells. The parochial charities produce about £72 per annum, of which £36 goes to the school. There is a good library free to the parishioners. To the N. of the village is a small spring called Bennett's Well. Sheldon Hall is now a farmhouse. The Rev. J. W. Digby, Vicar of Coleshill, is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]