"SHILTON, a parish in the Kirkby division of the hundred of Knightlow, county Warwick, 6 miles N.E. of Coventry, its post town. It is a station on the Trent Valley section of the London and North-Western railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the road from Coventry to Wolvey, near the Oxford canal. The parish contains the hamlet of Barnacle. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the ribbon manufacture and in agriculture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Worcester, value £76, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient structure, with a square tower containing four bells. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes for this parish and that of Anstey. The manor belongs to the Dean and Canons of Windsor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]