"SHOTTESWELL, (or Shotswell), a parish in the Burton-Dassett division of Kington hundred, county Warwick, 4½ miles N.W. of Banbury, its post town, and 8 from Kineton. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1793. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester, value £157. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, has a tower and five bells. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. There is a National school. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]