"SHUTTINGTON, a parish in the Tamworth division of Hemlingford hundred, county Warwick, 3 miles N.E. of Tamworth, its post town, and 1½ mile N. of the Polesworth railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Coventry canal and the river Anker. There are remains of Alycote or Alvecote priory situated in this parish. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Worcester, value £318. The church is an ancient structure, with Norman porch."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]