"SOLIHULL, (or Silhill), a parish and post town in the Solihull division of Hemlingford hundred, county Warwick, 6½ miles S.E. of Birmingham, and 14,3 from Warwick. It is a station on the Birmingham and Oxford railway. It is situated betwixt the Warwick and Stratford-on-Avon canals, on the river Blythe. It is a polling-place for the county, and a decayed petty sessions and market town, containing the villages of Shirley Street, Shirley Heath, Solihull, and Olton, the old seat of the barons of Limesi."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]