"SOWE, a parish partly in the city of Coventry, and partly in the hundred of Knightlow, county Warwick, 3 miles N.E. of Coventry, its post town. The village is situated on the river Sow, from which it takes its name. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the collieries and in ribbon weaving. This parish is also known by the name of Walsgrave-upon-Sow, its original name. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Stoke, in the diocese of Worcester. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are National and infant schools. The Independents and General and Particular Baptists have chapels. There is a new parochial school at Hawkesbury-Sow. The Earl of Craven is lord of the manor.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]