"STOKE, a parish in the county of the city of Coventry, county Warwick, 1 mile E. of Coventry, of which it is a suburb. The village is situated on the canal, near the river Sowe. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in ribbon weaving. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Walsgrave, in the diocese of Worcester. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Michael. It has been recently restored and enlarged, and has a stained E. window. There is a National school for both sexes. The Independents have a chapel."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]