"SUTTON COLDFIELD, a parish, post, and market town in the Birmingham division of Hemlingford hundred, county Warwick, 7 miles N.E. of Birmingham, and 8 S.W. of Lichfield. It is a station on the London and North-Western railway. This town, formerly called Sutton-Colville, is of great antiquity, having been of some note in the Saxon times. It is situated on a branch of the river Tame, near the ancient Icknield Street, and is intersected by the Birmingham and Fazeley canal. The parish comprehends the villages of Little Sutton, Hill, Maney, Hill Hook, and Warmley."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]