"TANWORTH, (or Tanworth-in-Arden), a parish in the Warwick division of the hundred of Kington, county Warwick, 4 miles N.W. of Henley-in-Arden, its post town, and 11 S. of Birmingham. In the vicinity is an extensive reservoir for supplying the Stratford-on-Avon canal, which passes through the parish. There is a quarry of building stone, but the manufacture of wick-yarn, formerly carried on, has declined. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Worcester, value £380. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen. The interior contains a brass to Margaret Archer, bearing date 1614. There is also the district church of St. Patrick's, at Salters-street, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £150. There is a chapel for Independents. The parochial charities produce about £124 per annum, of which sum £8 go towards the schools. There are two National schools and a free school. Umberslade is the principal residence.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]