"UPPER SHUCKBURGH, (or Shuckborough), a parish in the hundred of Knightlow, county Warwick, half a mile S.E. of Lower Shuckburgh, 6 miles S. of Rugby, and 5 E. of Southam. Daventry is its post town. The village consists of two or three farmhouses. The manor passed from the Danvers to the Schuckburghs in the 12th century, from whom it derives its name. The Oxford canal passes through the parish. The surface is generally elevated, and on the western boundary is Beacon Hill, commanding views of the surrounding country as far as the Wrekin and the Malvern hills. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Worcester, value £30. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. It has some stained windows by Eginton, also tombs of Richard Shuckburgh and Sir George Shuckburgh, the mathematician. The principal residence is Shuckburgh Hall.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]