"WAPPENBURY, a parish in the Southam division of the hundred of Knightlow, county Warwick, 5 miles N.E. of Leamington, its post town, and 3 N.W. of Marton railway station. The village is situated on the River Leam, and adjoining the turnpike road leading from Leamington to Rugby. The soil is loamy, with a subsoil of gravel and marl. The parish includes the hamlet of Eathrope, separated from that of Wappenbury by the Leam. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester, value £60. Tho church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The register dates from 1754. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum. The Roman Catholics have a chapel. Lord Clifford is lord of the manor;"
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]