"WELFORD, (or Welford on Avon), a parish partly in the Stratford division of the hundred of Barlichway, county Warwick, but chiefly in the upper division of Deerhurst hundred, county Gloucester, 4 miles S.W. of Stratford-on-Avon. It is situated on the river Avon, and contains the hamlets of Bickmarsh and Little Dorsington. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £450. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. Earl Amherst is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]