, a parish in the detached portion of Kington hundred, county Warwick, 4½ miles S.E. of Stratford-on-Avon, its nearest post town and railway station. It is situated near the river Stour, and includes the small hamlets of Bruton, or Broughton, Crimscott, Wimpstone, and Whitchurch. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester, value £340. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. J. R. West, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"BROUGHTON, a hamlet in the parish of Whitchurch, hundred of Kington, in the county of Warwick, 5 miles to the S. of Stratford-upon-Avon. The Stratford branch of the West Midland railway passes near it."
"CRIMSCOTT, a hamlet in the parish of Whitchurch, hundred of Kington, in the county of Warwick, 5 miles S.E. of Stratford-on-Avon."
"WIMPSTONE, a hamlet in the parish of Whitchurch, county Warwick, 4 miles S.E. of Stratford on Avon, on the river Stour."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]