"WILLOUGHBY, a parish and watering-place in the Rugby division of Knightlow hundred, county Warwick, 3 miles S.E. of Dunchurch, and 6 S. of Rugby. It is supposed to have been a Roman station from the many Roman antiquities discovered in the neighbourhood, and is mentioned in Domesday survey as Milebei, or Wilbere, from which its present name is derived. The village, which is situated on the main road from London to Holyhead, near the Grand Junction canal and river Leam, was formerly of more importance than at present, and had a market and fair."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]