"WISHAW, (or WHISHAW), a parish in the hundred of Hemlingford, county Warwick, 4 miles N.W. of Coleshill, 6 from Tamworth, and 2 from Whitacre railway station. The parish, which includes the hamlet of Moxhall, is skirted by the Birmingham and Fazeley canal. The soil is a mixture of marl and gravel, upon a subsoil of red marl. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester, value £400. The church, dedicated to St. Chad, contains monuments to the Hacket family. The register dates from 1688. There is a free school, founded in 1719 by Lady Mary Hacket. The local charities produce about £8 per annum, including the school endowment. B. P. Noel, Esq., of Moxhall Park, is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]