"WORMLEIGHTON, a parish in the hundred of Kington, county Warwick, 5½ miles S.E. of Southam, and 3 N.E. of Fenny Compton railway station. The village is situated near the reservoir of the Oxford canal, and gives title of baron to the Dukes of Marlborough. At the time of the Domesday survey it formed part of the possessions of the Earl of Mellent, and in the reign of Henry VIII. came to the Spencer family, with whom it still remains, the present Earl Spencer being lord of the manor and chief landowner. The land is rich pasture and meadow, with the exception of a few acres. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Worcester, value £80. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a school with a small endowment."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]