"ALDERBURY, a parish in the hundred of Alderbury, in the county of Wilts, 3 miles to the S.E. of Salisbury. It contains the chapelries of Farley and Pitton, and is situated near a branch of the South-Eastern railway, and the river Avon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury, van., with the two curacies, £162, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel and a small endowed school. Alderbury House and Ivy Church, which occupies the site of a monastery, are the principal seats. Alderbury is the seat of a Poor-law Union, and of a County Court district."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]