"EASTON, (or Easton Royal), a parish in the hundred of Kinwardstone, county Wilts, 3 miles E. of Pewsey, its post town, and 7 S. of Marlborough. It is situated near the river Avon. In the reign of Henry III. a priory was founded here by Stephen, Archdeacon of Salisbury, for Canons of the Trinitarian order for the redemption of poor captives. At the Dissolution its revenues were estimated at £55 14s. 4d., and the site was then given to the Seymours. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Salisbury, in the gift of the Marquis of Ailesbury, who is lord of the manor. The church is a plain edifice of the latter part of the 16th century, built by Edward, Earl of Hereford. It is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The parochial charities amount to about £25 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is an endowed school for boys and girls. In the neighbourhood there are several barrows."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]