"ETCHILHAMPTON, a chapelry in the parish of Allcannings, hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 3 miles S.E. of Devizes, its post town. It is situated at the base of a small hill in the vale of Pewsey, near the source of the small river Avon, which runs by Salisbury into the English Channel. Another river of the same name rises in the vicinity, and passing through Bath and Bristol, falls into the Bristol Channel at Pill. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Allcannings, in the diocese of Salisbury. The chapel-of-ease is rather an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Andrew, and contains monumental effigies of a knight and lady in the costume of the reign of Edward IH. There is a free school in the village. Lord Ashburton is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]