"OGBOURNE ST. ANDREW, (or Okeburne St. Andrew), a parish in the hundred of Selkley, county Wilts, 2 miles N. of Marlborough, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Kennet, and on the high road from Marlborough to Swindon. The inhabitants are principally engaged in agriculture. The parish includes the tythings of Rockley and Maisey, or Massey. The soil is chiefly gravel and chalk. The extensive tract called Marlborough Downs occupies a considerable part of the parish. The appropriate tithes, belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Windsor, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £830, and the vicarial for £180. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Sarum, value £160, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Windsor. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient structure with a square tower. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. At Rockley, the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem had formerly a preceptory, and there was also a chapel of ease dedicated to St. Leonard."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Ogbourne St Andrew is 2 miles North of Marlborough. Grid Ref SU188724. Population 489 in 1831, 359 in 1951.