"WEST HARNHAM, a parish in the hundred of Cawden, county Wilts, 1 mile S.W. of Salisbury, its post town. It is situated near the river Avon, and is a small straggling village. The tithes were partly commuted for land and money payments under an Enclosure Act in 1783, and the remainder have been commuted for a rent-charge of £50. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Coombe Bisset, in the diocese of Sarum. The church, dedicated to St. George, is an ancient brick and flint structure with a square tower. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
West Harnham is 2 miles SW of Salisbury. Grid Ref SU135293. Postcode SP2 8HA. Population 256 in 1831, in 1951.