Doolin probably derives from "dubh linn", the dark pool. The area known as Doolin is really the parish of Killeilagh or the ancient territory of "Tuath Clae". It belonged to a distinct branch of the O’Briens, called Glae (or Clae) after the name of their lands. It is also called Fisherstreet and thus marked on many maps. It is a small fishing village on a sandy bay some 3 km from Aill na Searrach, the northern end of the Moher Cliffs. The district between Doolin and Lisdoonvarna has numerous caves of interest to speleologists.
The Clare Guild. Official Guide of County Clare, by D. Roche
County Clare, A History and Topography. Reprinted by Clasp Press, 1995, from A History and Topography of County Clare which was originally published in 1837 as part of A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland.