LISCANOR, A village, in the parish of Kilmacrehy, barony of Corcomroe, county of Clare, and province of Munster, 4 miles (W.) from Ennistymon, on the northern side of the bay of the same name on the western coast ; containing 77 houses and 506 inhabitants. The bay being exposed to the violence of the Atlantic, and having a rocky and dangerous shore, a pier was built at this place a few years since, by the late Fishery Board, for the protection and encouragement of the small craft employed in the fishery of the bay, to which, as well as to vessels engaged in general trading, it affords great shelter and accommodation, although it has been several times injured by the sea. Excellent lobsters, small turbot, and a variety of other fish are taken in the bay. Here are a constabulary police station, and a detachment from the coast-guard station at Freagh Point. Over the estuary of the river Inagh, in the vicinity of the village, a handsome bridge is now in course of erection, consisting of three elliptic arches, each of 45 feet span, connected by a causeway or embankment, 160 feet in length, with three smaller arches on the south side for the passage of superfluous water ; the total length of the roadway, including an embankment at each end of the bridge, is 507 feet. Of the estimated expense, £4200, the Board of Public Works, under whose superintendence it is being erected, has contributed £2222 ; the remainder being defrayed by the county. In the R. C. divisions, this village gives name to a district, which comprises the parishes of Kilmacrehy and Killaspuglenane, and contains the chapels of Liscanor in the former and Cahirgal in the latter parish: that of Liscanor is a large plain building. Near the village are the ruins of an ancient castle, consisting of a large square tower : it was formerly of great strength, and was the residence of the O’Conors.-See Kilmacrehy. Samuel Lewis, 1837
The Clare Guild. Official Guide of County Clare, by D. Roche
County Clare, A History and Topography. Reprinted by Clasp Press, 1995, from A History and Topography of County Clare which was originally published in 1837 as part of A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland.