"ANNAGH or ST. ANNA, a parish, in the barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 6¼ miles (W. S. W. ) from Tralee; containing with the town of Blennerville, 3253 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the bay of Tralee, and on the high road from Tralee to Dingle, extends for some miles between a chain of mountains and the sea, and comprises 17,967 statute acres, as apploted under the tithe act."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
The old parish church is now in ruins in Annagh burial ground.
The Church of Ireland built a new church in Blennerville in 1818 and the parish was renamed to reflect this. Since 1670 the parish was effectively united with Ballynahaglish and Clogherbrien. In 1877 Blennerville was united to Tralee. Blennerville church has now been demolished, but its site can be seen by the disused graveyard now known as Robert Emmet Park in the village. An (apparently baseless) legend tells that the patriot, Emmet, was secretly buried here in 1803.
The Roman Catholic church is at Curraheen. Annagh has been part of the parish of St. John's, Tralee since at least the 18th century.
Registers (Tralee Parish) for Baptisms exist for the years 1772 - 1874.
Registers (Tralee Parish) for Marriages exist for the years 1774 - 1876.
The registers remain in the custody of the parish priest, although microfilm copies are at the National Archives of Ireland. Written permission from the Bishop of Kerry is required to view these records.
Church of Ireland Registers
Annagh (or Blennerville) was held jointly with Ballynahaglish and Clogherbrien from 1670. No Registers survive for any of the parishes.
However, the Nash Collection of Co Kerry newspaper cuttings contains: