"BALLINCUSLANE, a parish, in the barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 4½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Castleisland; containing 4,700 inhabitants. The parish, which is situated on the west bank of the river Blackwater, and on the confines of the county of Cork, is intersected by the old and new roads from castleisland into that county, the latter being the road to King-William's-Town now in progress at the expense of the Government. It comprises 37,118 staute acres as applotted under the tithe act.
At Ardnagragh are the ruins of Desmond's chapel, with a burial-ground attached, now called Kilnananima; here the remains of The Great Earl of Desmond (who was slain in 1583) were interred. Near this spot are the remains of Kilmurry castle, which was taken by Col. Phaire, of Cork, in 1650: this and the castles of Kilcushnan and Bally-Mac-Adam, sit within half a mile of each other, were inhabited by three brothers named Fitzgerald, of the Desmond family, between whom such enmity subsisted that none of them would suffer the others to pass unmolested through his lands."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]