"BALLYDUFF, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER 7¼ miles (N. E.) from Dingle; containing 420 inhabitants, of which number 92 are in the village. This parish, which is situated near the road from Dingle to Tralee, comprises 9,825 statute acres, as applotted by the tithe act.
The village contains 15 houses and is a constabulary police station.
On the border of the parish is a romantic glen, called Maharabo, where it is said the last wolf in this part of the country was killed; the particular spot is still called Wolf Step."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
The parish church was situated in the old burial ground. It was abandoned, probably in the early seventeenth century. There are no remains today.
The Church of Ireland never established a church in the area and the parish seems to have been merged with Cloghane. In 1871 Ballyduff was officially united to Dingle.
In the Roman Catholic church Ballyduff has been part of the union of Killiney and Cloghane since at least the seventeenth century. The parish was renamed Castlegregory about 1875, and one of two churches was built at Cloghane.
The Roman Catholic parish registers for Killiny and Clohanes (or Castlegregory) cover Baptisms from 1828 to 1879, and Marriages from 1829 to 1880.
The registers remain in the custody of the parish priest, although microfilm copies are at the National Archives of Ireland. Written permission from the Bishop of Kerry is required to view these records.