"BALLINACOURTY, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER 8½ miles (E. by N.) from Dingle; on the road to Tralee; containing 1,884 inhabitants. It comprises 2,973 statute acres, as applotted by the tithe act. A few boats are employed in fishing in the bay of Dingle, but for want of proper shelter the fishery is very limited. The construction of a small pier on this side of the bay would be of great advantage."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
Note: The Civil Parish of Ballynacourty ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.
Ballynacourty comprises the single DED of Ballynacourty, which also took in a detached part of Ballinvoher parish.
The Church of Ireland registers for Ballynacourty start in 1803.
The Roman Catholic registers for Annascaul parish start in 1829. The registers remain in the custody of the parish priest, although microfilm copies are at the National Archives of Ireland. Written permission from the Bishop of Kerry is required to view these records.