"CAHIR, a parish, in the barony of IVERAGH, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER; containing, with the market and post-town of Cahirciveen, 5653 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the harbour of Valencia, on the south-western coast; and is intersected by the high road from Tralee to Valencia.
It comprises 20,452 statute acres, of which about 7000 are arable, 6500 mountain pasture, 6932 waste land and bog, and about 20 acres woodland. The soil is in general light; and the system of agriculture, though still in a backward state, has improved considerably since the construction of the new line of road through this and the neighbouring parishes, and along the coast of Castlemaine bay, as projected by the late Mr. Nimmo about 20 years since, by the completion of which great benefit has been conferred upon a diatrict depending upon sea-weed and sea sand chiefly for manure.
The prevailing rocks are of the slate formation, and slates of good quality have been quarried on Cahirciveen mountain, and used for roofing the houses in the town."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
"The parish of Cahir lies to the east of Valentia, and its church is the only one in repair in the whole barony; near which are the ruins of several small houses, built formerly by the neighbouring inhabitants, as places of sanctuary in times of war, which the privateers never plundered.
Opposite to Cahir stands the ruins of the castle of Ballycarbery, by whom erected is not known. In this parish is a second castle called Littur, erected formerly by the O'Sullivans, and in later times possessed by a branch of that family called MacCrehan. "
[From The Ancient and Present State of the County of Kerry by Charles Smith (1756)]