Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Cloghane

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Cloghane

Primary tabs

"CLOGHANE, or CLAHANE, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER 6 miles (N.N.E.) from Dingle; containing 2722 inhabitants, of which number, 222 are in the village. This place is situated on St Brandon's bay on the western coast, and the parish is divided by part of the Connor range of hills into the northern and southern portions. In the former is St. Brandon's Hill, a mountain of considerable elevation, near the summit of which are the remains of an oratory or chapel, dedicated to St Brandon.
A small pier was erected by the late Fishery Board. The fishery is chiefly carried on in yawls and canoes; it affords employment during the season to 250 persons, who at other times are engaged in agriculture.
At Ballyguin is a coast-guard station; being one of those that constitute the district of Dingle. The village, which is near the shore of the bay, contains 43 houses, mostly thatched; and in it are situated the parochial church, a R.C. chapel, and a school.
The parish, including a detached portion called Lateeves, a very fertile tract of 889 acres, locally in the parish of Kilmalchedor, comprises 27,740 statute acres, as applotted by the tithe act, of which a large tract consists of mountain and bog; a small portion of the land is under tillage, producing excellent and early crops."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]

topup

Census

Note: The Civil Parish of Cloghane ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.

The main part of Cloghane Parish was divided into the DEDs of Brandon and Cloghane, with three townlands included in Ballyduff DED and one in Stradbally DED. The southern portion of the parish was included in Kinard DED. Ballyduff DED Drom East and West, Lisnamovaun
Brandon DED Arraglen, Ballymore, Farran, Lisnakealwee, Maghanaveel, Murirrigane, Slieveglass, Teer
Cloghane DED Ballynalacken, Ballyquin, Cappagh, Cloghane, Clogharee, Cloonsharragh, Coumeenycorraun, Faha, Glanshanacuirp, Mullaghveal, Slievadrehid
Kinard DED Ballineesteenig, Ballingarraun, Ballynahow, Emlagh, Lisdargan, Reenboy
Stradbally DED Fermoyle

  • Kerry County Library, Tralee has the 1901 Census on microfilm.
  • The Family History Library of the Church of the Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints also has the 1901 and 1911 census on microfilm.
    The films should be available from one of the church's Family History Centers. You can locate the nearest to you by searching at www.familysearch.com.
    The relevant films are:
    1901 Census Ballyduff DED FHL British Film 838555 Item 2
    1901 Census Brandon DED FHL British Film 838556 Item 1
    1901 Census Cloghane DED FHL British Film 838556 Item 2
    1901 Census Kinard DED FHL British Film 838558 Item 2
    1901 Census Stradbally DED FHL British Film 838556 Item 2
    1911 Census Ballyduff DED FHL British Film 1936710 Item 2
    1911 Census Brandon DED FHL British Film 1936710 Item 3
    1911 Census Cloghane DED FHL British Film 1936712 Item 1
    1911 Census Kinard DED FHL British Film 1936743 Item 1
    1911 Census Stradbally DED FHL British Film 1936712 Item 3
topup

Church History

The medieval parish church stood in the old burial ground, at the north west end of the village, at the foot of the old pilgrim's route to the top of Mount Brandon. This church, which appears to have been built in the 13th Century, fell into ruins by the 18th. In 1828 a new Church of Ireland church was erected on the site of the nave, but this in turn was abandoned in the 20th century, and now the ruins of both churches stand side by side.
In the Roman Catholic church the northern portion of Cloghane parish was combined with Killiney and Kilgobban. The combined parish was originally called Killiney and Clahanes, but by the mid nineteenth century was called Castlegregory. A church was built in Cloghane (St. Brendan's) in 1827.
The southern portion of Cloghane parish is part of the Roman Catholic parish of Dingle.

topup

Church Records

The Church of Ireland registers for Cloghane are lost. The parish has long been united to Dingle in the Church of Ireland.

The Roman Catholic registers for Killiny and Clohanes (later Castlegregory) parish start in 1828.
The Registers for Dingle parish cover baptisms from 1825, and marriages from 1821.
The registers remain in the custody of the parish priest, although microfilm copies are at the National Archives of Ireland. Written permission from the Bishop of Kerry is required to view these records.

topup

Civil Registration

From 1863 Cloghane was part of the Dingle Registration District, and the Castlegregory Registrar's District. The Electoral Divisions listed above are used in Civil Registration. See the Registration Districts page.

topup

Description and Travel

Websites

You can see pictures of Cloghane which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cloghane to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup
topup