"CURRENS, a parish, partly in the barony of MAGONIHY, and partly in that of TRUGANACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER 6¼ miles (N. E.) from Milltown; containing 1565 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Castle Island to Dingle, and on the rivers Mang, or Maine, and the Brown Flesk; it comprises 4456½ staute acres, as apploted under the tithe act, of which about three-fifths lie on the south of the Maine, and in the barony of Magonihy.
The soil is light and agriculture is improving; the substratum on the north of the Maine consists of limestone, which is much used for manure, and there is a quarry of good stone adapted for building; there are some patches of bog"
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
Note: The Civil Parish of Currans ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.
Currans Parish formed part of the larger DED of Currans.
The Family History Library of the Church of the Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints also has the 1901 and 1911 census on microfilm.
The films should be available from one of the church's Family History Centers. You can locate the nearest to you by searching at www.familysearch.org.
The relevant films are: 1901 CensusCurrans DED FHL British Film 840920 Item 2 1911 CensusCurrans DED FHL British Film 2193019 Item 1
The old parish church was abandoned after the Reformation, and fell into ruins. In the Church of Ireland, the parish has long been united to Tralee.
In the Roman Catholic church Currans parish was united to Tralee by 1703. In 1866 the western part of Currans was included in the new Catholic parish of Baile na hEaglaise now known as Spa.
The Church of Ireland registers for Currans are lost. The parish has long been united to Tralee in the Church of Ireland. Tralee Registers for both Baptisms and Marriages start in 1771.
The Roman Catholic Registers (Tralee Parish) for Baptisms exist for the years 1772 - 1874 and for Marriages exist for the years 1774 - 1876.
The Registers for Baile na hEaglaise cover the period 1866 - 1880 (Baptisms) and 1867 - 1880 (Marriages).
The registers remain in the custody of the parish priest, although microfilm copies are at the National Archives of Ireland. Written permission from the Bishop of Kerry is required to view these records.