"GALEY, a parish, in the barony of IRAGHTICONNOR, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER; 8½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Tarbert, on the river Gale; containing 2920 inhabitants. It comprises 12,381 staute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, a large portion of which is under pasture: along the river the land is of excellent quality. There are large tracts of bog in the parish, amounting to nearly two-fifths of its entire surface: about one-fifth only is under tillage. The state of agriculture is improving; a considerable portion of the bog is now being drained, and other improvements are in progress by P. Mahony,Esq., who has recently purchased the Gunsborough estate.
The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe: the rectory is impropriate in A. Stoughton, Esq., and the vicarage forms part of the union of Aghavallin. The tithes, amounting to £203.1.6½. are payable in equal portions to the impropriator and the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is partly in the district of Lisseltin. About 220 children are educated in two private schools. "
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]