Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Glanbehy

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Glanbehy

Primary tabs

"GLANBEGH, or GLENBEHY, a parish, partly in the barony of IVERAGH, but chiefly in that of DUNKERRON, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER; 13 miles (S. W.) of Milltown; containing 2449 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the south-eastern shore of the bay of Dingle, derives its name from the small river Birchen, or Begh, which rises in the mountain lakes and intersects it in its rapid course into the sea. It comprises 25,686 statute acres, as apploted under the tithe act, of which nearly two-thirds are mountain pasture, bog, and rock; and forms an extremely wild and romantic glen surrounded by steep and rugged mountains on all sides except towards the sea, where it is enclosed by a range of low but steep hills, forming a sheltered vale, through which the river Begh pursues the whole of its impetuous course. The highest mountains are the Drung and Cahir-Canaway, over which the old road passed into the remoter parts of the baronies of Iveragh and Dunkerron, along a range of precipitous cliffs overhanging the bay. The situation is picturesque and romantic, but its aspect is wild and savage in the extreme; and previous to the commencement of the present improvements, the glen was the inaccessible and secure retreat of lawless violence and the abode of misery and destitution.
A new line of mail coach road has been constructed, avoiding the steep and dangerous pass over the mountains, and preserving an easy level throughout the whole of this previously impenetrable and isolated part of the country. Since the formation of these roads, the old heavy hurdles or drags have been discontinued, and carts and wheel carriages have been brought into general use, by which great facilities have been afforded for procuring sea-sand as manure, which has greatly increased the fertility of the soil. The wretched huts, which scarcely afforded shelter to the labourers, have given place to neat comfortable cottages, generally built of stone, most of them containing two rooms and dairy, and several having two chambers with a dwelling-room and offices, and garden, enclosed and well planted; the old hovels have been converted into sheds for cows and pigs, and every requisite for domestic cleanliness has been provided.
The air of this coast is highly salubrious, and several pretty sea-bathing cottages have been built at Rossbegh, and furnished under the auspices of Lady Headley for the reception of visiters, for whose accommodation a comfortable inn has also been established.
The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the union of Cahir: the tithes amount to £130. In the R.C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also part of the parish of Killorglin, and containing a chapel here and another at Glencare, on the border of Killorglin parish."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]

topup

Census

Note: The Civil Parish of Glanbehy ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.

The Civil Parish of Glanbehy was split between the DEDs of Glanbehy and Lickeen, with parts going to the neighbouring DEDs of Derriana and Caragh:
Glanbehy DED Ballynakilly, Ballynakilly Lower, Ballynakilly Upper, Canearagh, Coolnaharragill Lower, Coolnaharragill Upper, Coolroe Lower, Coolroe Upper, Coomasaharn, Curra, Curraheen, Curraheen Little, Drom, Drom West, Faha, Gortdirragh, Gowlane, Kealduff Lower, Kealduff Upper, Kilkeehagh, Kilnabrack Lower, Kilnabrack Upper, Letter East, Letter West, Reennanallagane, Rossbehy townlands
Lickeen DED Bunglasha North, Bunglasha South, Carriginane, Coomavoon, Cosha South, Creeveen, Derreenanaryagh, Dreenagh, Drombrane, Drom East, Keel, Lickeen, Neesha, Toornaneaskagh townlands
Derriana DED Curravaha, Doory, Dromalonhurt townlands
Caragh DED Callahaniska, Commaun, Cosha North, Lauhir, Treangarriv, Treanmanagh townlands

  • Kerry County Library, Tralee has the 1901 Census on microfilm.
  • The Family History Library of the Church of the Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints also has the 1901 and 1911 census on microfilm.
    The films should be available from one of the church's Family History Centers. You can locate the nearest to you by searching at www.familysearch.com.
    The relevant films are:
    1901 Census Glanbehy DED FHL British Film 837798 Item 2
    Online transription at Rootsweb's Kerry site Glanbehy DED
    1901 Census Lickeen DED FHL British Film 837798 Item 2
    Online transription at Rootsweb's Kerry site Lickeen DED
    1901 Census Derriana DED FHL British Film 837797 Item 2
    Online transription at Rootsweb's Kerry site Derriana DED
    1901 Census Caragh DED FHL British Film 838567 Item 1
    Online transription at Rootsweb's Kerry site Caragh DED
    1911 Census Glanbehy DED FHL British Film 1936687 Item 2, 1936688 Item 1
    1911 Census Lickeen DED FHL British Film 1936688 Item 2, 1936689 Item 1
    1911 Census Derriana DED FHL British Film 1936666 Item 1
    1911 Census Caher DED FHL British Film 2170881 Item 2
topup

Church History

The old church of Glanbehy was in the townland of Ballynakilly Lower, in the old parish burial ground. Following the reformation this church passed to the Church of Ireland, but was abandoned probably in the seventeenth century, and quickly fell into ruins. For Church of Ireland purposes Glanbehy was united with Cahir and Killinane by 1633.

In the Roman Catholic church, Glanbehy remained a distinct parish - usually spelt Glenbeigh. Churches were built in Glenbeigh village and at Glencar.

topup

Church Records

The Church of Ireland registers (Caher Parish) for baptisms start in 1878, and for marriages in 1947. Copies of the Registers are in the
Representative Church Body Library,
Braemor Park,
Rathgar,
Dublin 14.
library[at]ireland.anglican[dot]org You should note that Library staff will not carry out searches, but they will make the registers available for searching.

The following Roman Catholic registers remain for Glanbeigh: Baptisms March 17, 1830 - Aug., 1837 (In mutilated condition)
Marriages March, 1830 - Feb. 1835 (In mutilated condition)
Baptisms June 21, 1841 - March 25, 1870 (Several pages missing and mutilated)
Baptisms April 9, 1870 - Dec. 30, 1880 The registers remain in the custody of the parish priest, although microfilm copies are at the National Archives of Ireland. Written permission from the Bishop of Kerry is required to view these records.

topup

Civil Registration

From 1863 Glanbehy was mostly in the Caherciveen Superintendant Registrar's District, although Derriana DED was part of the Killarney District. See the Registration Districts page.

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Glanbehy which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Glanbehy to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup