"KILLINANE, a parish, in the barony of IVERAGH, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER; 4 miles (N. E.) of Caherciveen, on the road to Milltown; containing 3215 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the southern shore of Dingle bay, and is at the inner extremity of the harbour of Valencia: it comprises 23,120 staute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which 5030 consist of arable land, 7580 of mountain pasture, and the remainder (with the exception of about 40 acres of woodland) of rocky mountain, waste, & bog. Towards the sea are mountains, of great elevation, affording pasture during the summer months; the intervening valleys are coarse and rocky, with only a small proportion of the tillage. On one of the mountains is a remarkable prominence called "The Hag's Tooth", and on the north side of it are some small romantic lakes. The sea on the north-east forms several creeks, of which that of Kells affords shelter to small vessels. Near this place is a coast-guard station, being one of four included in the district of Valencia.
The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Cahir; the tithes amount to £160.16. and there is a glebe of 61½ acres. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the district of Cahirciveen: there is a chapel at Tielmore. The ruins of the old church still remain in the burial-ground at Sreugany. "
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]