"MINARD, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (E. S. E. ) from Dingle, on the road to Tralee; containing 1474 inhabitants. It is situated on the northern side of the bay of Dingle: near the shore are the ruins of Minard Castle.
The parish comprises 4927 statute acres, as apploted under the tithe act, of which 2770 acres are arable land, and the remainder consists of coarse mountain pasture, mostly reclaimable: good building stone is found in several places. Sea-weed and sand are in general use for manure; and the bog, being nearly exhausted, turf for fuel is brought from the coast of Iveragh on the opposite side of Dingle bay. The bay abounds with a variety of fish, but the fishery is here attended with much trouble and danger, the adjacent coast for several miles consisting of precipitous cliffs, and there is but a single narrow creek, in which only one boat can land at a time.
The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe: the rectory is partly impropriate in Lord Ventry, but chiefly in the Earl of Cork, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Ballinacourty or Kilflyn.
In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Dingle: at Lispole is the chapel, in which a school is held. There are no remains of the old church, but the burial ground is still used."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]