"TEMPLENOE, or NEW CHURCH, a parish, in the barony of DUNKERRON, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (W.S.W.) from Kenmare, on the road to Sneem; containing 3882 inhabitants. It is situated on the northern shore or estuary or bay of Kenmare, from which it extends towards the base of the mountains of Mangerton and Mac Guillicuddy's Reeks, and is bounded on the east by the river Finihy, and on the west by the Blackwater, both flowing into Kenmare bay. Near the shore are the ruins of the ancient castle of Dunkerron (once the chief seat of the O'Sullivan Mores), which gives name to the barony.
The parish consists chiefly of mountain and bog; about one-sixth of it is under tillage; two-sixths are irreclaimable rocky mountain, affording, however, coarse pasturage; and the reamining three-sixths are capable of reclamation: there are about 130 acres of woodland. Limestone exists on the islands of Cappanacoss and Dunkerron, and on the contiguous shore, and indications of copper are to be seen at Gortamullen; sea-weed collected in the hay is generally used for manure. Some of the inhabitants are employed in fishing and dredging for lobsters. The Spaniards are said to have formerly carried on an extensive fishery in this bay, and there still exist on the opposite shore the remains of several long, low buildings erected by them and bearing the name of "fish palaces".
The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the union of Kilcrohane: the tithes amount to £22.6.1¾. The church a small plain building, situated about three-quarters of a mile to the west of the ancient edifice, was erected in 1816, at an expense of £700...
In the R.C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kenmare: the ruins of the old church have been converted into a chapel." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
"TEMPLENOE, a parish in the barony of Dunkerron, county Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland, 1 mile W.S.W. of Kenmare. Sneem is its post town. The surface includes a large proportion of mountain and bog. The parish, which is crossed by the road from Kenmare to Sneem, is bounded on the N. by the river Kenmare, and on the E. and the W. by the rivers Tinitry and Blackwater. There is a police station. Petty sessions are held on the first Wednesday in each month. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, value with Kilcrohane £355, in the patronage of the crown. The church was erected in 1816, partly by means of a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. In the Roman Catholic arrangement the parish is united to Kenmare. There are three schools. Dunkerrin and Dromore are the chief residences. Limestone is quarried at the islands of Cappancus and Dunkerron, and fishing is carried on to a small extent. Here are the ruins of Dunkerron and Cappancus castles."