Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Tuosist

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Tuosist

Primary tabs

"TUOSIST, or KILMACOLOGUE a parish, in the barony of GLANEROUGH, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 12 miles (S. W.) from Kenmare, on the bay of that name; containing 6376 inhabitants. This parish is considered to be one of the wildest and most irreclaimable districts in the county: it is seperated on the south-east from the county of Cork by a range of lofty and almost impassable mountains, and extends for about nine miles along the southern shore of the great estuary, or bay of Kenmare, an inlet of which, called Ardgroom Harbour, forms its boundary to the south-west.
By ancient computation the parish, which is entirely the property of the Marquess of Lansdowne, comprises 97½ gneeves, or upwards of 40,000 statute acres, consisting chiefly of rocky mountain and bog; in the hollows among the mountains are several lakes, some of which are extremely picturesque, and near the bay is one of considerable size called Lough Cloney.
There is a considerable domestic manufacture of coarse flannel, which is chiefly sold in the town of Kenmare; and several of the inhabitants are occassionally employed in the fishery of the bay: at Ardea is a good salmon fishery. The small bay or harbour of Kilmacalogue affords shelter to vessels of considerable size.
The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Kenmare.
In the R. C. divisions it forms the head of a union or district, called Lochort, or Carks, comprising also that part of Kenmare lying on the south side of the river, and containing the chapels of Daurus and Deireen. At Ardea is a house for the priest, built by the Marquess of Lansdowne, who has also, in conjunction with the National Board, lately erected school-houses at Carks and Cloney.
The ruins of the old church still exist in the burial-ground near the harbour of Kilmacalogue; and at Lochurt are the remains of a druidical circle. In the vicinity of Ardea is Lough Quinlan, in which are some remarkable little floating islands. "
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]

topup

Cemeteries

The old parish burial ground is at Kilmakilloge.

topup

Census

Note: The Civil Parish of Tuosist ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.

Tuosist is now contained in three DEDs:

  • Ardea DED Comprises the townlands of Ardea, Canfee, Cummers East, Cummers West, Derreen, Derreenatlooig, Derryconnery, Derrylough, Derryrush, Drombohilly Lower, Drombohilly Upper, Dromdiraowen, Garranes, Kilmakilloge, Lehid, Loughaunacreen, Tragalee, Uragh.
  • Dawros DED Comprises the townlands of Ballynafullia, Carks, Cloonee, Coolanarroo, Coornacaragh, Coornagillagh, Cooryeen, Cummeen, Dawros, Derreenacallaha, Derreengarrinshagh, Derrinknow, Derrynabrack, Derrynamucklagh, Derrynid, Derrysallagh, Derryvorahig, Drombane, Dromroe, Feoramore, Feorus East, Feorus West, Gortlicka, Inchicloon, Inchinlough, Killaha East, Killaha West, Lohart, Maulagowna, Muckera, Rossard, Dinish Island, Ormond Island.
  • Glanmore DED Comprises the townlands of Canagullen, Cashelkeelty, Clogherane, Collorus, Coolcreen, Coolownig, Creeveen, Cuhig, Cummeengeera, Deelis, Derrygreenia, Dromaclaurig, Dromerkeen, Eskadawer, Fehanagh, Glanmore, Glanrastel, Glantrasna, Gortavallig, Knockowen, Lauragh Lower, Lauragh Upper, Reenkilla, Shinnagh, Shronebirrane, Bird Island.

  • The Family History Library of the Church of the Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints also has the 1901 and 1911 census on microfilm.
    The films should be available from one of the church's Family History Centers. You can locate the nearest to you by searching at www.familysearch.org.
    The relevant films are:
    1901 Census
    Ardea DED FHL British Film 838562 Item 2
    Dawros DED FHL British Film 838563 Item 1
    Glanmore DED FHL British Film 838563 Item 2
    1911 Census
    Ardea DED FHL British Film 2170787 Item 3, 2170850 Item 1
    Dawros DED FHL British Film 2170850 Item 3, 2170851 Item 1
    Glanmore DED FHL British Film 2170851 Item 2, 2170852 Item 1
topup

Church History

The Church of Ireland parish of Tuosist (or Kilmackelogue) was made part of the parish of Kenmare in 1673.

The Roman Catholic Parish of Tuosist consists of most of the Civil Parish of Tuosist and seems to have seperated from Kenmare parish in 1838. There are two churches in the parish - Saint Killian's Church, Lauragh built in 1866 and Dauros church built in 1829.

topup

Church Records

The Church of Ireland parish registers (Kenmare) for baptisms, marriages and burials date from 1799.

The Catholic Registers start on April 22nd 1844 for both marriages and baptisms, but with pages missing. Before 1838 the registers for the parish of Templenoe, Kenmare and Douros should be consulted. These date back to 1819.
The registers remain in the custody of the parish priest, although microfilm copies are at the National Archives of Ireland. Written permission from the Bishop of Kerry is required to view these records.

topup

Civil Registration

From 1863 Tuosist was part of the Kenmare Registration District, and the Tuosist Registrar's District. See the Registration Districts page.
The District Electoral Divisions listed above are used for civil registration.

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Tuosist which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tuosist to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

Historical Geography

The civil parish of Tuosist contained the following townlands:

topup