"HADDINGTON, (or East Lothian), a maritime county, commonly called East Lothian, in the S.E. of Scotland. It is bounded on the W. and N.E. by the German Ocean, on the N. and N.W. by the Firth of Forth, on the S. and S.E. by county Berwick and the Lammermuir hills, and on the S.W. by county Edinburgh. It extends between 55° 47' and 56° 5' N. lat., and 2° 22' and 3° 1' W. long. Its greatest length from E. to W. is near 26 miles, and its greatest breadth 17. Its area is computed at 272 square miles, or 174,080 acres, of which about 35,000 acres are waste land, and 6,000 are plantation.
It has a low rocky coast of about 35 miles, the principal places along which are Dunbar, Haddington, Preston Pans, North Berwick, Aberlady Bay, near the embouchure of the river Peffer into the Forth, Belhaven Bay, Whitberry Head, Ravensheugh Craig, and Tantallon Castle; the islands of Scarr, Craigleith Lamb, Fidra, and the Bass Rock. ... More"
[The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
East Lothian (or Haddingtonshire as it was formerly known) is a county in the south-east of Scotland, bounded on the west by Midlothian, on the north and east by the Firth of Forth and the North Sea, and on the south by Berwickshire. In the southern part of the county are the Lammermuir hills, in the north the land is generally flat and fertile. Traditional industries in the area are farming, fishing and coal-mining. The county town is Haddington; other towns in the county include Dunbar and North Berwick.
[Copyright Vivienne S Dunstan, 1997]